Shonali Burke is a growth strategist who helps purpose-driven brands bring big ideas to life through Social PR. Over the past two decades, Shonali has worked with some of the most forward-thinking and innovative organizations in the world.
She’s also an adjunct faculty member in The Johns Hopkins University’s M.A./Communications program and is currently enrolled in Harvard’s Business Analytics Program so she can help organizations better leverage data in their marketing efforts.
In this episode of the Look Left @ Marketing podcast, Bryan Scanlon talks with Shonali about life-long learning, course corrections and how current events are affecting the way we all work.
- 01:15 Shonali talks about her personal journey and the importance of life-long learning.
- 04:19: Understanding what you want to learn and why is critical to using new knowledge to your advantage.
- 07:53: Mentors are critical to advancing your career -- and they can come in many forms.
- 12:41: On the importance of learning as much as possible early on in your career.
- 19:21: Why millennials and others are embracing the idea of a “side hustle.”
- 23:53: How the succession of cultural uncertainties are affecting focus and work.
- 27:57: Working remotely is a true challenge, especially for those doing for the first time while managing family responsibilities under quarantine.
- 36:37: Failure is both inevitable and difficult, but it also provides a unique opportunity to learn.